Chrome 61 –Windows/Linux/Mac
- ECMAScript modules in browsers
- ES6 Modules in Depth
Chrome 61:WebUSB API – User-Permitted USB Devices
- Network Information API is made accessible on desktop and as Android supporting sites in order to access the fundamental connection information of a device.
- Developers can specify scrolling smoothness through latest optional parameter in the prevailing Scroll APIs or with the scroll-behaviour – CSS property.
- At the moment CSS colour values can be 8- and 4- digit hex colours of the format #RRGGBBAA and #RGBA.
- Sites could now access the virtual positions of the display content with Visual Viewport API of Chrome 61, revealing difficult functionality such as pinch-and-zoom in a much direct manner.
- Presently the Device RAM API is accessible revealing the extent of RAM on a device of the user to sites to augment total performance of a web application in Chrome 61 browser.
- While navigating from an installed web app to a site beyond the initial web app’s scope, the new site tends to mechanically load in a Custom Chrome Tab of Chrome 61.
- Chrome 61tends to mechanically expand video to full screen for video using native controls when user is inclined to rotate their device in an orientation which matches a video playing on the screen.
- Presently nextHopProtecol is available in Resource Timing and Navigation Timing, offering access to the network protocol utilised to make a resource.
- Sites now need embedded third-party content to implement a given Content Security Policy through the latest csp attribute on <iframe> elements.
- The DOMTokenList interface of Chrome 61 tends to support replace() to change with ease all similar tokens to an updated one like active to inactive on expiration.
- To access the attribute names list of an element, getAttributeNames() is presently supported giving the developers a more direct mechanism that tends to go via the attributes collection.
- Sites can now access an estimate for the disk space utilised by a given origin and quota in bytes through the new navigator storage estimate() function of the Storage API
- In order to improve the cache hit rate of the Google Chrome 61browser, URLSearchParams now supports sort() to grade all stored name-value pairs.
- The URLSearchParams constructor has been restructured in order to receive any object as a parameter rather than other URLSearchParams cases.
- To avert the usage of mis-issued certificates going overlooked, sites could utilised the latest Expect-CT HTTP header that would permit automated reporting and/or enforcement of Certificate Transparency needs.
- Google Chrome 61 will not decode frames for videos utilising Media source in the background tabs.
- Photo resolution, red eye reduction together with flash mode, in non-live camera settings can currently be retrieved with ImageCapture.getPhotSettings()
- Sites could also use the Clear-Site-Data header in order to delete their own client-side data like cookies, storage, service workers together with cache entries in Chrome 61.
Chrome 61- WoSign/StartCom Certificates
It is said that for this Chrome 61 release, Google has spent almost $23,000 in bug bounties. With regards to security, this release also tends to eliminate trust in WoSign and StartCom certificates. Google had unveiled in October 2016, its strategy for the process beginning with only trusting certificates dispensed earlier to October 21, 2016 in Chrome 56, limiting trust to whitelisted hostnames built on the Alexa Top 1 million and then decreasing the size of the whitelist over the course of many Chrome releases.